Shortly after he had turned 6 years old, Cole was involved in a car accident with his father. A truck skidded on an ice sheet and Hank's car rolled over. Cole had to have emergency surgery and was operated on by an android because no human was available, but despite its efforts, Cole died on October 11, 2035. Hank claims the human surgeon was unavailable due to being high on drug called Red Ice.
Little is known of Cole as Hank rarely mentions his deceased son to anyone. Cole's death led to Hank’s heavy alcoholism, suicidal tendencies and intense hatred for androids.
Connor can discover the circumstances of Cole's death during the game.
- Cole shares his name with Cole Freeman, a supporting character from the previous Quantic Dream game Beyond: Two Souls.
- Cole shares some similarities with Shaun Mars, the second son of the protagonist Ethan Mars from another Quantic Dream game Heavy Rain.
- Shaun can die on October 11, 2011 in the final chapter of the game. October 11, 2035 is also the date of Cole's death.
- Cole lived from September 23, 2029 - October 11, 2035, making him 6 years old at the time of his death, and on September 23, 2038, he would be 9 years old.
- Cole's mother is never seen or mentioned. When examining Hank's desk, there is a sticker that says, "If I wanted to be ignored, I'd talk to my ex-wife." This may indicate that Hank was married to and divorced Cole's mother.
- Cole died on the day of John Phillips' 36th birthday.