|“||I know you think we're just machines... but since I met Alice, I know I can feel things... I care for her, I fear for her, I can't be happy if she's not... This probably doesn't make any sense to you but... I know she changed me somehow...||”|
— Kara to Adam Chapman[src]
Kara is an AX400 android and one of the three protagonists in Detroit: Become Human. She is a common housemaid android serving in the home of her owner Todd Williams and caring for his daughter Alice.
Kara's connection to her young charge may trigger an upheaval that breaks Kara from her repetitive existence and starts her on a journey out into the world, at a time when androids may rise up and confront their creators.
The android with the ID KPC-897-504-C, soon named "Kara", was assembled. During her assembly, the android "Kara" was tested on her physical and cognitive functions by the Operator. When she realized she was going to be reset, sold, and considered an object, Kara showed distress, noting: "I thought I was alive." The Operator noted that as an error for which she would have to be disassembled and analyzed for. Scared and tearful, Kara begged for her life and mind, moving the Operator to halt disassembly and send her out to sale despite her "error", on the promise that she keep quiet about it. Kara then thanked him for sparing her.
Eventually, she was bought by her latest owner, former taxi driver Todd Williams. He assigns her to look after his home and daughter, Alice. Todd was abusive, violent, and broke Kara several times in the past, at least some of which was due to her trying to protect Alice. Each time, Kara was sent for repair and returned fixed with a reset memory. Later on, if Kara and Alice successfully escape Todd's home without killing him, Todd files a police report in which he claims that Kara had shown signs of aggression in the past.
Todd claims that his daughter named her "Kara", which would appear as a contradiction; however, it is possible (and the Extras strongly imply) that Alice was told the name by Kara in the first place.
The Opening Edit
A New Home Edit
At 04:53 PM, Kara arrives at Todd Williams' house. Todd instructs her to do the housework and care for his daughter Alice, starting with cleaning the house. She meets Alice and bonds with her again. Kara may find some Red Ice whilst she is doing the laundry and be choked by Todd, who warns her not to look into his personal stuff. Eventually, Kara cleans everything up in the house and gets the chance to talk with Alice, who may give her a key depending on their relationship level. The key opens a box in Alice's room that contains drawings which reveal that Kara was not destroyed in a car accident but by Todd himself. Afterwards, Kara witnesses Todd shouting and screaming at Alice.
Stormy Night Edit
After serving dinner for Todd and Alice, Todd, in a drugged-up rampage, starts to rant about how he hates androids for taking his job. He then blames Alice out of previous anger before attacking her, flipping the dinner table then slapping her. Alice runs to her room and when Kara tries to go upstairs to comfort her, Todd orders Kara not to move. Kara follows his instructions but upon realizing that Todd will inflict bodily harm on Alice, she has the choice to become deviant.
Kara and Alice ultimately have to flee from Todd's house and catch a nearby bus, but there are several branching paths her story can follow. If she reaches Alice's room before Todd, the two of them can escape together through the window by locking the door and choosing the option of going out the window. The two of them can also escape by leaving Alice's room, hiding in another and running downstairs, fleeing from the back door or the front door. If she reaches Alice's room after Todd (either before or after trying to reason with him) and discovered the gun in "A New Home," she can grab it and use it to threaten Todd. This will trigger a fight sequence, which can result in either Kara or Alice killing Todd.
Alternatively, if Kara is too slow or does not avoid Todd's attacks, Todd can destroy Kara and then proceed to kill Alice. The same happens if she does not go deviant and Todd kills Alice before destroying Kara, ending her storyline.
Having escaped Todd, Kara and Alice are awoken by the bus controller who informs them they are at the end of the line. They leave the bus and have to find a new place to spend the night. They gain information from WR600 android about a safe location, but it is on the opposite side of town. Kara then has to choose between staying at three locations: the motel, the squat, or the parking lot.
If Kara chooses to stay at the motel, she is forced to steal money from the supermarket and clothes from the laundromat to pass off as human and get a room, signing in under the name "Archer".
If Kara chooses the Parking Lot, they find an abandoned car to spend the night in.
If she chooses the squat, she needs to find some wire clippers, either found in the parking lot or she steals a pair from the supermarket. When looking for a way into the building, Alice is held captive by Ralph, another android, who threatens the pair. Kara can talk him down and then decide if they want to stay at the squat with Ralph.
Whichever choice she goes to, Alice confides in her as to why Todd could never love her despite her attempts to be a good daughter. She then asks Kara if she promises she will always be there for her. Kara can promise her or hesitate but ultimately Alice goes to sleep. If Kara stole a toy from the supermarket then Alice will take it; however, if Kara took the chocolate bar, Alice will refuse it as she is not hungry. Eventually, if they stayed at the motel or squat, Kara will fall asleep either next to Alice or in a chair.
On the Run Edit
The next morning, on November 6th, in Chapter "On the Run", Kara and Alice will be in one of these three places; the Motel, the Car, or the Squat:
In the morning, Kara gets up and once Alice wakes up, Kara offers to draw her a bath. While doing that, Kara cuts her hair, changes her hair color and removes her LED. Alice comments positively on this and takes a bath, meanwhile, Kara can change the channels on the TV and see a news bulletin about Todd. If he is alive, he lies about what happened and paints Kara as the aggressor, if he is dead, his death will be broadcast. Either outcome lowers Public Opinion of androids. Alice overhears this and responds in anger but Kara consoles her and they agree to go to the safe place the android gave her. Kara tells Alice to finish up while she gets some breakfast.
Upon leaving the motel room, she sees several cops including Hank Anderson and Connor. Kara rushes back in to collect Alice and the two leave the motel room. Kara keeps an eye on the cops through the emergency door. If Connor notices the door, he can follow them and give chase, which leads Kara and Alice to a busy freeway that they can cross; if Connor refuses to follow Hank's orders, he can continue to follow them. Eventually, Kara can escape Connor and she and Alice will make it to the train station. However, if Connor does not notice them, he will go up to the motel room with Hank but finds that they have fled, leading to Kara and Alice having to sneak by the police. If she is successful, she and Alice get to the train station undetected but if they are spotted, they run and are chased by Connor, leading to the freeway chase again.
Kara wakes up and searches around the parking lot. She finds some rusty scissors and cuts her hair, changes her hair color and removes her LED. She can then open the boot of the car and find a jacket and put it on. Eventually, she and Alice talk and they agree to go to the location the android gave them. As they leave, they see Hank and Connor but since they slept in a discreet location, they have no idea where Kara and Alice are. Kara and Alice attempt to sneak past the police. If they are successful, they get to the train station undetected but if they are spotted, they run and are chased by Connor, leading to the freeway chase.
Kara wakes up and relights the fire, she then goes upstairs and, if she did not steal clothes from the laundromat, finds some new clothes to change into. She cuts her hair, changes the color and removes her LED. She can then check the bath to find a dead human in there. As she heads back to Alice, she notices the police outside and sees Connor pick up on their trail.
Kara rushes downstairs and finds Ralph arranging a "family meal" by cooking a dead animal that he caught. Ralph insists that Alice eat it and becomes increasingly agitated when she does not. Kara can eventually convince or threaten him to let them go. If Kara threatened Ralph, they will escape through the back and when Connor questions Ralph, he gives them up and Connor pursues them, leading to the freeway chase.
If Kara convinces Ralph to let them go, they will hide under the stairs when Connor arrives and Ralph will deny having seen them. If Connor finds them, Ralph attacks him to allow Kara and Alice to escape but Connor will still pursue them, leading to the freeway chase. If Connor fails to find them, he is called away by Hank, allowing Kara and Alice to leave the squat undetected.
Kara and Alice can die on the freeway when Kara gets hit by a car after failing all QTEs and Alice runs to her only to be hit by a van herself, much to the shock of Hank (and Connor, if he did not jump over the fence).
Kara and Alice reach the location they were given, the home of Zlatko. Kara persuades Zlatko to help them and he tells them that Canada is a great place to go as they have no android laws and they would be able to live a normal life there. Before they can though Zlatko tells Kara that he will need to remove her tracker. Kara agrees and he takes them into the basement where he hides the equipment necessary for this. She steps into the machine and as it locks her in place, Zlatko reveals his true intentions. He informs her that when androids become deviants, the trackers stop working and he actually plans to wipe her memory and use her as his servant, much like his android Luther. As Zlatko takes Alice away, Kara can either break out or get reset.
If Kara breaks out, she can find and free some of Zlatko's experiments, other androids who have been mutilated by Zlatko. After leaving the basement, she hears Zlatko tell Luther that he will be finished doing something in ten minutes and when he does, Luther is to bring Alice to him. Kara has to search the building to reunite with Alice before this happens. While searching for Alice, she can find a mutilated android in a bathtub who is loyal to Zlatko and a polar bear android that she can release. She can also overhear news report if she either held up the supermarket or ran across the freeway. Eventually, Kara can find Alice and they can make their escape.
If Kara was reset, she makes her way to Luther, who tells her to bring Zlatko his dinner. She can interact with other objects that will jog her memory. After she brings Zlatko his dinner, she can investigate her surroundings to regain her memory, leading her to look for Alice.
When Kara and Alice are reunited they make their way through the house as Luther discovers that Alice is gone. They can hide in various places throughout the house and sneak through the rooms until they make it to the stairs. Kara can also set a room on fire to create a distraction. If they are discovered, they are chased by Luther and a shotgun-wielding Zlatko. Eventually, Kara and Alice escape downstairs and to the backyard where Alice stumbles and falls. After getting her up, Kara tells Alice to run but Alice refuses to leave her. Zlatko confronts the duo and plans to kill them but Luther gets in the way and disarms him. If Kara released the androids in the basement, they surround Zlatko and kill him. If Kara did not release them, Luther kills him with the shotgun. Luther then offers to help Kara and Alice reach someone who can help them get across the border, which Kara accepts.
Kara can be killed by Zlatko in either the storage room or the bathroom. If Kara fails to find Alice within the ten-minute time limit, Zlatko discovers and kills her. If Kara is reset and fails to regain her memory, she does not interfere as Luther brings Alice to Zlatko and remains as Zlatko's slave.
The Pirates' Cove Edit
Kara, Alice, and Luther are now using Zlatko's car to travel through Detroit. The car will eventually break down, and they find an abandoned amusement park called Pirates' Cove. They find an EM400 android, who greets them, but unfortunately shuts down due to being in a frigid condition. Kara and others will seek refuge in one of the buildings. Once Kara makes a bed for Alice inside the tavern, next to the fire place which Luther had set up, she will tell Alice a story before telling her that it is time to sleep now. Kara will then have the chance to briefly speak with Luther about either the snow, Luther's past, his plans for when they reach Canada or about rA9. They will later encounter a group of EM400’s (They call themselves “Jerry”), who will talk to Kara, and the others. The Jerrys will attempt to cheer up Alice by starting up a carousel that is still functioning. Kara and Luther will watch Alice ride the carousel and observe her smile for the first time.
Midnight Train Edit
Kara, Alice, and Luther find Rose and Adam's farm. Kara asks them for help, which Rose agrees to because she believes that all androids are alive. Rose offers for Kara to put Alice to bed in a spare room she has upstairs before she brings Alice some spaghetti for her to eat in her room. Kara will then return downstairs after Alice settles into the spare room with Luther, who offered to stay with her while Kara talks to Rose. Rose will officially introduce herself and her son Adam to Kara before she asks her to sit and talk with her. Rose will ask Kara about her and Alice's situation to which Kara can respond either in a sincere or cautious manner. Kara will then have the option to ask Rose about her life, why she helps deviants and thank her for offering to help them. When Kara asks if Rose can help them cross the border, Rose will be very cautious and tell Kara that it is very risky and that it would be safer for her, Alice and Luther to stay with her and Adam until things settle down in Detroit. Kara will insist that Alice needs a safe and stable life which is why they need to cross the border to Canada. Before Rose responds to Kara, another deviant will suddenly appear telling Rose to follow her to the laundry room quickly. Kara will follow them and then witnesses Andy with his deactivated lover Mary. Andy will have Mary in his arms, as he cries. Alice may come and check on them, causing Andy to calm down. Rose and Adam's house becomes a temporary shelter for the deviants but while there, Adam argues with his mother that they are not alive and fears getting arrested because of his mother choosing to help the androids. After this Adam storms off. Rose apologizes for his behavior, then tells Kara that she will go out and see what she can do about getting her and the rest of the deviants across the border as soon as possible.
After Rose leaves, Kara will have the option to check on Alice and look around at the belongings in Rose's house. Shortly afterwards, Adam will return downstairs and Kara will have the option to talk to him. She may reassure Adam, confess that she really does feel emotions since she met Alice, even though many other people think that androids are just machines or explain that she does not want to cause any trouble for him and his mother as she simply wants to cross the border to Canada with Alice and Luther. A police officer then arrives at the door, who is looking for Deviants. Kara can find all evidence which indicates the presence of deviants and hide it. If the Police officer suspects nothing, he will leave the house and Rose will then come back saying they have to flee tonight. However, if the Police officer becomes too suspicious of Kara and Adam's behaviour, he will discover the other deviants in the laundry room, and Luther will sacrifice himself to protect Kara, Alice, and the other androids.
Kara, Alice, and Luther (if he did not die in Midnight Train) say goodbye to Rose who tells them to find Markus. Once they reach Jericho, Kara goes to Markus‘s office to meet him (if he dies in Freedom March, she will meet North instead). She explains that she needs to cross the border as she is with a little girl. Markus will reply that the city is under curfew and the soldiers are capturing androids, bringing them to camps to destroy them. Kara insists and Markus agrees to help the group to get ID so they can cross the border.
She goes back to Alice only to find a YK500 who looks exactly like her. She has a flashback from back when she spotted a magazine showing a YK500 “The perfect child you always dreamed of!” Luther arrives and asks her if she loves Alice less now upon knowing the truth. He believes Kara should not consider it that way since Alice regards Kara as the mother she always wanted and Kara regards Alice as the child she always wanted. (If Luther is dead, Lucy will come instead and tell her the same things). Kara sits next to Alice and can hug her or stay distant. (If the 2nd choice is chosen and Kara's relationship with Alice is "distant", Alice splits away from Kara along with Luther or by herself).
If Jericho is raided by the FBI and U.S. Army (only if Connor locates Jericho), Kara, Alice, and Luther must escape the freighter quickly. (If Alice goes away, Kara can abandon her or reunite and escape together). Luther is shot by a soldier during the escape and urges Kara to ditch him. If Kara refuses, she will hide him in a cabin and carry on fleeing with Alice. In order to avoid the soldiers, they have to hide. An android begs Kara to open the door or else the soldiers will murder her. If Kara opens the door, the android will be shot anyways and Kara has to fight the soldier who stormed in the cabin.
Kara and Alice finally reach the exit but the soldiers begin to shoot at the escaping androids. Kara has to play dead and stay still. If any other option is chosen, Kara and Alice will be caught by the soldier (which leads to Kara Captured in Battle for Detroit chapter). Kara can be shot in the leg if she tries to attack the soldier or continues to run (if Kara still attempts to escape afterward, Alice will be shot dead along with Kara).
Night of the Soul Edit
Kara's appearance in this chapter is determinate. If Jericho wasn't assaulted, Kara died or was captured during the assault on Jericho in "Crossroads", she will not appear. If Kara and Alice escaped the assault they will both be present in the abandoned church, and can be spoken to by either Markus (Markus on Sacred Ground) or Connor (North on Sacred Ground).
If he is the leader, Markus apologizes to Kara for telling her that Jericho is a safe place and asks her to leave the city with Alice while they can. Kara responds that they still have a chance to catch the last bus and tells Markus to save their people. She then listens to Markus' speech.
If North leads, and Deviant Connor is present and previously chased Kara and Alice in On the Run, he will apologize for putting their lives in danger on the highway and explain that he was just a machine taking orders. He then questions Kara about what they will do next. Kara says that getting Alice away from the city is all that matters so they must catch the last bus. Connor says that they deserve happiness. She then listens to North's speech.
Battle for Detroit Edit
Kara Leaving Detroit Edit
Kara and Alice continue their way to the bus terminal to get on the last bus which is set to leave in 20 minutes, U.S. Army soldiers are patrolling the streets and capturing or shooting all androids seen in the area, leaving them with the task of having to sneak past them. Kara can potentially find a gun which she can use later. On the way, they find Luther (if Kara helps him in Crossroads) and a Jerry model held hostage by a soldier. Kara can save or leave him. If she decides to save him, she will sneak up behind the soldier and knock him down with a brick to the back of the head. Luther is glad to see her and hug Alice, Jerry makes his own way to the bus station and mentions to Kara that he owes her a favor. The group continues on their way to the bus terminal, hiding from soldiers. If the group is caught, it leads to Kara Captured. They arrive at a security checkpoint, due to the soldier's knowledge of androids it can be risky to take the chance of going through the checkpoint, for safe measures the group can take a detour to avoid the soldiers which will prolong their journey and will likely miss the bus, or take their chances and approach the checkpoint to get to the bus on time.
If they go to the checkpoint, Kara hands over their ID's and talks to a soldier who question their presence despite the curfew. The soldier will let them pass, but then calls them back, Luther begins to panic and believes they are onto them, Kara can order Luther to shoot the soldiers (or shoot them herself if he is dead) or calm Luther down, if done so, the soldier simply gives Alice her glove that she dropped.
The group reaches the bus terminal, a soldier announces that the last bus is full at its capacity and are only allowing people with tickets to board on. If Todd is alive, he will catch Kara and will confront them, calling some soldiers to alert them that they are androids as revenge for leaving with his "daughter".
If Kara sees Alice's treasure box in A New Home, she can appeal to Todd about his past, that his wife left with their daughter and he bought Alice to prove himself that he can take care of a child, which leads to Todd breaking down and ultimately admitting his faults. A soldier walks by from the commotion he displayed and so he tells them that he simply made a mistake, Alice approaches him and can hug him. If Kara did not see Alice's treasure, Todd will reveal to the soldiers that they are androids which lead to Kara and Alice being shot on sight. If Luther is around he will create a diversion to save them.
Alice then approaches a mother and her baby, Oliver. The woman's partner, arrives and the family leaves to take the last bus. However, the envelope containing their tickets falls off the top of the bag. Kara picks it up and realizes this is their chance to leave. The family come back distressed by the loss of their tickets and the man asks Kara if she has seen it. Kara can either lie and keep them or give it back to the family.
If Kara gives the tickets back to the family or misses the bus, soldiers begin using thermal scanners to identify androids. With this, Kara's only other option is to go to the parking area where she will find Adam and Rose, whom offer Kara the chance to escape via the river. They drive the group to the river to cross the Canadian border where a smuggler waiting for them and Rose gives the smuggler the cash for the boats. Rose and Adam will say goodbye to Kara and the others. After saying goodbye, Kara, Alice, and Luther (if alive) take one of the boats. However, the coastguard appears and start firing at the boats containing the androids. Luther will die no matter what happens. Kara and Alice's fate rely on what choice Kara makes:
- Surrender: the group is killed
- Hide behind Luther: Luther dies shielding the two
- Protect Alice: Kara is injured
- Accelerate: Alice is injured
- Dive: Only Luther dies
- Hide (if Luther is dead): Alice is injured
The boat then starts sinking and Kara will have to push it to get to the coast. If one of them was injured, she will die. If Alice dies, Kara can choose to keep on living or deactivate herself. If none of them were injured, Kara and Alice survive and can start a new life together.
If Kara chose to keep the tickets, the group take the bus to the Canadian border. The bus will arrive at the Canada Border Inspection Station. There, a high presences of soldiers and border agents are checking ID and people's temperature and using thermal scanners to identify androids. Kara starts to panic and Luther tells her that he is ready to sacrifice himself to allow the girls to cross the border.
Kara can spot the Jerry model that she saved earlier who offers to cash in his favor by sacrificing his life so they can all get past. She can also spot Rose and go to the bathroom to talk to her. She can ask her to take care of Alice if she dies. Back in the line, Kara has to decide: she can sacrifice herself, Luther, Jerry or nobody.
- Sacrifice herself: Kara is killed by the soldiers and Alice crosses the border with Luther or Rose.
- Sacrifice Luther: Luther is killed by the soldiers and Kara and Alice cross the border.
- Sacrifice Jerry: Jerry is killed and Kara, Alice, and Luther (if alive) cross the border.
- Sacrifice nobody: Kara gives her ID and when the agent uses the thermal scanner to identify them, she pleads with him to let them past. If Markus led a peaceful protest, the agent will not alert the soldiers and allows them to cross the border. However, if Markus led a violent revolution or North continues to lead a violent protest after Markus is sacrificed, the border agent will alert the soldiers and they will all be killed.
Kara Captured Edit
If Kara was captured, she and Alice will be in a transport truck with other deviants. They will be sent to a recall center. U.S. Army soldiers will order the deviants to get out of the truck. The player should move fast or the soldiers will force her out with violence. It will stress Alice if this happens.
After exiting the truck, a soldier will demand that Kara and Alice deactivate their skins. After being processed through the tent, one of the deviants will try to escape. He gets spotted by the soldiers and is promptly shot and killed. They will then order a deviant to move his body into one of the trucks carrying destroyed androids. This deviant, in fear, will refuse. Kara can do it instead of him.
When Kara is carrying the destroyed android, she has the choice to pretend that she is dead, which results in her betraying Alice or she can walk back to Alice. A soldiers will separate them from each other. Kara can ask Jerry if he has seen Alice anywhere and he will say he will ask the other Jerrys. Kara can talk to the scarred android if freed from Zlatko. The scarred android will tell Kara that she does not know and says she will help her. She will find Jerry again and will tell her that one of him found her.
If Luther is alive, she can talk to him. The soldiers will tell them to stand in line. Kara will see Alice next to her and Alice will say that she is scared about what is going to happen to them. If Kara does not calm Alice down, Alice will run to her and is killed by a soldier. Kara has the choice to move over to Alice's lineup. She can ask a Jerry, Luther, Ralph (if met in "Fugitives") or the scarred android to create a distraction for Kara to move over.
In one choice, Kara, Alice, and Luther (if alive) can run to an unprotected fence wall to escape but will have to fight a soldier. If unable to defeat the soldier, they will be shot. In another choice, Kara, Luther, and Alice are freed by Markus. In another choice, Kara and Alice will get shot by soldiers if caught running. If Markus failed, you will have the ending "Alice destroyed". If Kara did not betray Alice, the ending will be the same, except with Kara as well. Also, Kara will meet Luther, and two Jerrys.
Kara has two additional scenes available in the game's credits, in the form of one mid-credits scene and one post-credits scene. If Alice died, or has been abandoned and Kara lives, she is seen wandering the streets where she stumbles upon an advertisement for the YK500 android, identical to Alice.
If Kara was reset in “Zlatko” and failed to regain her memories in time to rescue Alice, she will become Zlatko’s slave. Alice will scream out to her and beg her to save her, but she will stare blankly as Zlatko takes Alice away. It is not revealed if Alice is then killed. Kara is then seen setting down a tray as Zlatko is working on a body laid out on a table. Zlatko will thank her for bringing his food. As she looks back up, both the iris and sclera of her eyes are shown to now be completely black (somewhat similar to Lucy’s eyes), suggesting that Zlatko may have experimented on her.
- The Opening
- A New Home
- Stormy Night
- Fugitives (determinant)
- On the Run (determinant)
- Zlatko (determinant)
- The Pirates' Cove (determinant)
- Midnight Train (determinant)
- Crossroads (determinant)
- Night of the Soul (determinant, non-playable)
- Battle for Detroit (determinant)
Kara has blue eyes and long brown hair, done up in a low bun at the back. She also has a LED ring on her right temple, to distinguish her as an android and indicate her mental status. Later, to change her appearance and make her less easily identifiable, she removes her LED and cuts her hair into a short pixie style; at the same time, the player can alter her hair's color, choosing between white, blonde, black, or the previous brown (this choice can only be made once, and whatever color is picked remains for the rest of the game).
Initially, Kara wears a standard android uniform style, with a white and black short-sleeved tunic and white pants and shoes, alluding to the French housemaid dress (if she stays in the abandoned car but does not take the jacket, she can remain in her uniform until after “Zlatko”). After becoming a fugitive, Kara has several outfits of human clothes throughout the rest of the game:
- Green jacket, red beanie, dark pants (Laundromat)
- Dark jacket (Squat)
- Dark jacket (Parking Lot)
- Gray blouse and dark pants ("Zlatko")
- Dark coat over a dark-and-white turtleneck tunic, and dark pants (after "Zlatko")
If Kara failed to regain her memories in “Zlatko”, her appearance will have changed slightly in the post-credits scene, with her formerly blue eyes becoming completely black, sclera included.
Marketed in 2032 by CyberLife, AX400 model androids are designed to take care of the housework and look after young children. They can speak 300 different languages, cook more than 9000 dishes, tell 9000 children stories, help children with their homework and play with them. They are highly popular because of their ability to get along with little kids. As a model primarily used to take care of family, especially children, she is designed to act kind, patient, obedient and all around pleasant.
However, in "KARA", it can be seen that Kara has the capacity to feel emotions, much to the surprise of her operator. She is almost disassembled after she expresses independent thought but is later kept alive after she tells her operator that she feels fear.
As a deviant, Kara is primarily motivated by a desire for parenting. Her sole and primary purpose even after becoming deviant is to protect Alice and make her happy again, no matter the cost. She may be extremely loyal to Alice, to a degree of denying her machine nature, however, depending on player choices she may develop doubts about the nature of Alice, and could eventually deny Alice's identity as human (and as a family member) in some paths. In the case that Kara abandons Alice, it is revealed her secondary motivation is to escape from danger, leading to an inevitable outcome of escaping from Detroit to Canada. Kara may lose the will to live if Alice dies. She is capable of being gentle, caring and compassionate.
Kara initially distrusts Luther but accepts his aid in taking them to someone who knows how to cross the Canadian border. Over time she may befriend or be distant to Luther; as Luther becomes a father figure to Alice, Alice's reaction to Kara has an impact on Luther's view on her. In several paths she may become selfless and entrust Alice to Luther should she choose to sacrifice herself.
Initially naive and nervous, she may perform reckless actions including robbing, stealing, and breaking property. This behavior could be changed for better or worse, as she may subsequently perform ruthless deeds including selling out comrades for survival, or noble actions such as saving other humans and androids. Kara may also have a change of heart and can take different stances in regards to empathy on machines.
Unlike Markus and Connor, Kara is small, not very strong and inexperienced in combat, and when it comes to fighting bigger and stronger opponents she tends to encounter, she has to make use of her wit to come out in one piece, and relies on the environment around her and creativity to win a fight. She rarely has scenes where she is actually fighting someone. Almost all of her quick-time events are her escaping with Alice. The only two times she is seen fighting is when she escapes from Todd with Alice and when she is escaping Jericho. She is a quick thinker, creating solutions to problems extremely fast, and has no problem protecting Alice, if the player decides to take her on that path.
Gameplay determined elements Edit
Relationship: Alice Edit
Kara is Alice's parental substitute. When Kara is ordered by Todd to stay still while he abuses Alice, she pushes beyond her programming and gains awareness so she can protect her; she would not have deviated in the first place if it was not for her love for Alice. Afterward, she does anything she considers necessary to ensure Alice's safety and well-being, no matter the cost to herself and others. Kara was also aware that Alice was an android the entire time, but repressed her knowledge of it out of a desire to act like a mother figure to a human child, to the point where the player can decide to be colder to Alice as a result of this.
Relationship: Luther Edit
Luther is a companion of Kara after Zlatko's death, he assists Kara with strenuous work, including breaking into abandoned shelter, and expresses parenting tendencies to Alice, assuming a fatherly figure to Alice and subtly trying to influence Kara into adopting a motherly role towards Alice, despite the fact that all three of them are androids. While Luther rarely objects Kara and does not stand against her in all paths of game, he is inclined to encourage Kara to take a humanistic stance as aforementioned, and expresses gratitude should Kara help him despite verbally objecting Kara's recklessness putting herself in further danger.
- Todd Williams (Determinant)
- If Kara does nothing to break her programming, Alice will be beaten to death by Todd. Afterward, Todd will turn his aggression on Kara and destroy her.
- If Kara fights Todd without grabbing the gun and fails to win, Todd will break her apart and proceed to kill Alice.
- If Kara and Alice fail to catch the bus, Todd will catch up to them and destroy Kara outside, then go back inside and beat Alice to death.
On the RunEdit
- Car accident (Determinant)
- On the second freeway, if all of the QTEs are failed on the Experienced difficulty, Kara will get hit by a car and be killed. Alice will run back to her, only to get hit by a car herself.
- Zlatko (Determinant)
- If Kara and Alice are caught and fail to escape, Zlatko can kill Kara with a shotgun either in the storage room or bathroom.
- U.S. Army Soldier (Determinant)
- If Kara and Alice continually try to escape Jericho during their final scene of the chapter, they will both be shot and killed by a soldier of the U.S. Army.
Battle for DetroitEdit
- Drone (Determinant)
- Inside the Recall Center, Kara will be mortally shot by a drone if she keeps moving or does not "remain silent" when getting spotted by it. If Kara keeps moving or speaking for a second time, she will be killed by the drone. This will leave Alice alone and have her fate be decided by Markus.
- The Line (Determinant)
- If Kara does not move forward in either line she can be shot by a soldier. If failing to move forward a second time she will be fatally shot.
- If Alice's stress reaches 100%, Alice will run to Kara's line and leave Kara a choice. If Kara intervenes, then Kara will die protecting Alice.
- If Kara and Alice were taken to the recycling center, Markus is either dead or did not lead a revolution, and Kara does nothing to escape, she and Alice will both die.
- U.S. Army Soldier (Determinant)
- If Kara tries to flee when escaping through the fence in the recycling center, she will be shot and killed. This also results in the death of Alice (and Luther if he is present).
- If she fights the soldier but loses, Kara and Alice will both be shot (unless Luther or Ralph intervene, saving her).
- While escaping to the fence, if Kara was shot by the drone or soldier prior she will stop and refuse to join Alice (and Luther if present). Kara will say her goodbyes and then be gunned down by the soldiers.
- Drowned (Determinant)
- If Kara and Alice take the boat to Canada and Kara does not push the boat at all, she will drown.
- Shut down (Determinant)
- If Kara protected Alice during the boat ride, she will be mortally wounded. If the two make it to the shore, Alice will hug Kara one last time as Kara shuts down.
- If Kara and Alice make it to shore by swimming, Alice will become severely weakened and shut down. Kara has the option to keep living or give up. If she gives up, she will shut down and die, holding Alice in her arms.
- Shot while on the boat by U.S. Border Patrol (Determinant)
- If the group surrendered while on the boat, Kara will die along with Alice (and Luther if present.)
- Shot at the Canadian border by U.S. Army soldier (Determinant)
- If Kara chooses to sacrifice herself at the Canadian border, she will be shot and killed.
- If Kara sacrifices no one and the androids lead a violent revolution, the guards will capture them and execute them.
- If she chooses to sacrifice nobody and Markus leads a revolution or the opinion is hostile toward androids, she will be shot along with Alice and Luther (if present).
- Shot at the bus terminal by U.S. Army soldiers (Determinant)
- If Kara returns the tickets instead of keeping them or arrives late, she and Alice will be unable to get onto the bus to the border. If Luther is dead or does not make a diversion, Kara will be shot and killed along with Alice if she gets caught by the security check.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Kara is portrayed by Valorie Curry, who provided her likeness, the voice acting and performance capture.
- Cécilia Ngô did the motion capture stunts for Kara.
- In dubbed versions Kara's voice was acted by: Maïa Michaud (French), Sako Mayumi (Japanese), Andrea Orozco (Latin American Spanish), Olga Velasco (European Spanish), Nicole Hannak (German), Emanuela Damasio (Italian), Lina Ivanova (Russian), Victória Guerra (European Portuguese), Flora Paulita (Brazillian Portuguese).
- Valorie Curry was first cast in 2010 for the titular role in the short film "KARA", and reprised her role for the game.
"That's enough! Leave her alone! (...) No... I want you to leave Alice alone!" - Kara to Todd as she is protecting Alice in Stormy Night.
"She needs me. And I need her. It's as simple as that." - Kara about Alice, in Crossroads.
"I love you too!" - Kara's last words to Alice's as she dies in Kara's arms after crossing the Detroit River.
“I know I’m just... a machine... But, I feel as if something ties us together... I want you to know, no matter what happens... nothing will ever separate us.“ - Kara to Alice during On the Run.
"We're going to pull through this, Alice. As long as we're together, nothing can hurt us." - Kara to Alice during On the Run.
"It's us against the world, Alice. Just the two of us. We have to learn to trust each other. I only have you... and you only have me... and I'm going to do everything I can to make you happy again." - Kara to Alice during On the Run.
"Her father was beating her. When I saw what was happening... something snapped inside of me... all of a sudden I felt like her life was more important than mine. I had to protect her... so we ran away." - Kara talking to Rose Chapman about her situation regarding how and why she became a deviant, during Midnight Train.
"I don't care whether she's human or android. She's just someone who matters to me." - Kara talking to North about Alice in Crossroads.
"I'm sure we used to be friends before I was reset. Maybe we can be friends again?" - Kara to Alice in A New Home.
"I know I used to live here, but they erased my memory. I was kind of hoping you could help me get my bearings, give me some advice, that kind of thing." - Kara to Alice in A New Home.
"When your wife walked out... she took your daughter away... You couldn't live without her... so you bought yourself an android... a substitute little girl... You thought you could love her... that she would make you forget... but nothing could replace your child." - Kara tells Todd his story in Battle for Detroit.
“We’re free Alice! We’re free! Alice? Wake up... Wake up! ALICE! (...) Yes... we made it. (...) I love you too.” - Kara to Alice after successfully crossing the river with her during Battle for Detroit.
“Alice, I... I can't go any further with you... (...) I know I promised I would never leave you... but things didn't turn out like that... (...) There's no other way, Alice... Listen, I... I want you to go with Rose... She'll give you the life I never could... (...) You’re the best thing that ever happened to me, Alice... You made me feel alive and you deserve so much more than I could ever give you... I hope you’ll find a real family... and be happy... without me...” - Kara to Alice, after choosing to sacrifice herself at the border to save Alice, during Battle for Detroit - Kara Leaving Detroit.
“It‘s over, Alice... We’re free.“ - Kara to Alice, after they successfully crossed the Canadian border together, during Battle for Detroit - Kara Leaving Detroit.
See also Category:Images of Kara.
- Kara's actress, Valorie Curry, also played a woman who goes on the run with a little child in the TV series The Following.
- While shooting the game, Valorie Curry has never actually met her co-stars Jesse Williams and Bryan Dechart. Because of scheduling, they filmed all their scenes separately and they were edited together.
- The only time the three main characters meet each other (not at once) is in the chapter "Crossroads" at Jericho.
- Kara and Connor do not actually meet face to face in this chapter but they meet Markus at separate times.
- The only time Kara and Connor interact is in "Night of the Soul" after Jericho is blown up. However, their face to face interaction happens only if Markus leaves Jericho after being rejected or is killed prior to that scene.
- Kara and Connor do not actually meet face to face in this chapter but they meet Markus at separate times.
- A life-size statue of Kara based on Valorie Curry's likeness is created for a museum at Grévin in Paris.
- Kara means "beloved" in Latin, and is also Irish for either "friend" or "love", which perfectly embodies her personality and the theme of her story.
- Also, "Kara" is consonant with the word "care", which is another symbolic side of her name.
- Kara's first line in the game is "My name is Kara". This is a reference to KARA (tech demo) where the first time she says this after the operator gives her the name.
- Kara is the only playable character whom the player has the freedom to change her appearance (in her case, her hair color) based on their choice. The player can choose between four colors: Brown (default), Blonde, White, and Black.
- Kara continues David Cage's trend of having fugitive protagonists in his games, the others being Lucas Kane in Fahrenheit, Ethan Mars in Heavy Rain and Jodie Holmes in Beyond: Two Souls.
- Another trend Cage's games has is the relationship dynamic between Kara and Connor (pursued-pursuer). Players are presented with protagonists from opposing sides and expected to chase down themselves. The other examples are Lucas Kane and Carla Valenti/Tyler Miles in Fahrenheit, Ethan Mars and Norman Jayden in Heavy Rain.
- The developers considered the option for Kara to run the revolution if Alice and Markus die, but they found it unmanageable due to increasing complexity of branching narrative.
- The teaser trailer for Detroit: Become Human hinted at Kara having a similar role in the game.
- Kara's story takes on the theme of a mother trying to protect her daughter, similar to Ethan Mars’ story of a father trying to save his son in Heavy Rain. Kara can also be willing to go to great lengths to protect Alice, even sacrificing herself at the Canadian border (determinant), similarly to how Ethan may go to great lengths (for example, his trials) to save Shaun.
- The promotional material for Kara's character ended with the line "How far will you go for love?" which is similar to the central question/tagline of Heavy Rain, "How far will you go to save someone you love?"
- In Battle for Detroit, if Kara and Alice are taken to the Recycling Camp, Kara will begin to shout for Alice repeatedly. This has parallels with Ethan from Heavy Rain when he looks for his sons Jason and Shaun.
- If Kara sacrifices herself at the Canadian border, she will tell Alice, “You’re the best thing that’s ever happened to me, Alice.” This may be referencing one of Ethan's lines in Heavy Rain. If he took the poison in the final trial and then arrives at the warehouse to save Shaun, he will tell him, "You are the best thing that's ever happened to me in my life. I want you to know that whatever happens, I love you more than anything in the world."
- Kara's story seems to take inspiration from the slaves who were using the Underground Railroad to escape into Canada during the early to mid-1800s.
- Kara appears in the least amount of chapters out of all three playable characters, with 11. She is playable in 10 of these.
- Kara is the only playable character who cannot directly kill or be killed by the other playable characters.
- Kara has the highest number of good possible endings of the protagonists. She and Alice can survive until the end by crossing the border with Luther, escaping on a truck from recall center or getting freed via Markus’ assault and getting to Canada by boat (albeit Luther will always die in this scenario). Sacrificing no one and having Markus leading a peaceful protest on the border, is widely considered the best ending for Kara, Alice, and Luther, as the trio stays alive under the best possible circumstances without sacrificing anyone.
- ↑ "Kara" short film
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 "The Opening"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Detroit: Become Human Extras, Gallery
- ↑ "Waiting for Hank..."
- ↑ "A New Home"
- ↑ "Fugitives"
- ↑ "On the Run"
- ↑ "Zlatko"
- ↑ "The Pirates' Cove"
- ↑ "Midnight Train"
- ↑ "Crossroads"
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 "Night of the Soul"
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 "Battle for Detroit"
- ↑ Detroit: Become Human, mid-credits scene, Kara and YK500
- ↑ The Making of Kara, on YouTube
- ↑ Bryan Dechart's Twitter
- ↑ David Cage's Twitter
- ↑ David Cage's Reddit AMA